Congratulatory Messages

What are official anniversary messages?

Australians celebrating a special birthday or wedding anniversary can receive personal congratulations from the Prime Minister, Governor-General or The Queen.

You can make a big day special for friends or relatives celebrating important milestones in their lives.


  50th Wedding 50th plus Wedding 90th Birthday 90th plus Birthday
Prime Minister Yes Yes Yes Yes
Governor General Yes Yes No 100th and every year thereafter
The Queen No 60th and every fifth year thereafter No 100th and every fifth year thereafter

How to arrange the message

You can arrange an anniversary message through the office of any federal Member of Parliament or Senator.

The best place to start is the electorate office of your local federal member. The electorate staff are there to help.

If you are applying for a message on behalf of a relative or friend who lives in another electorate, their local federal member will be notified so they can send a message too.

You will need to provide supporting documentation like birth certificates or marriage certificates. If these are not available you can provide a statutory declaration. Statutory declaration forms are available at any post office, and your local member may be able to help witness it.

Where appropriate, your request to the Prime Minister will be passed on to the Governor-General and The Queen so you only have to make one application.

To arrange a message from the State Premier, you should contact the office of your local state member.

Click here to contact David